Self-Portrait Propaganda Poster

    The propaganda of my self-portrait poster is to demonstrate the negative effects of technology use. The term brainwashing is an extreme term used on the poster but creates irony to the poster since it appears on the iPhone screen of the poster and on the poster itself. Though the poster is meant to allude to the negative effects of technology use, it also demonstrates how propaganda posters have been replaced by digital visuals, such as the meme, in order to be read and understood by larger, younger audiences. This is why I kept the poster ironic and simple, so that even if the problem is not directly shown on the poster, majority of individuals will understand the point of the propaganda.
    To create the self-portrait, I first started by outlining a picture of myself (inserted below) on Adobe Illustrator. Using the pen tool, I outlined the depths of my face and hair in two separate layers, then added two more layers for outlining my shirt and chest. I stacked the layers in this order: chest, shirt, face, hair. This way, the arrangement of the objects were on top of one another appropriately. Afterwards, I worked on the background (the top text and yellow color), the foreground (the arm and cellphone), and an insertion of a sample of the five colors I used (skin color, red, purple, yellow, cyan blue).

Image of myself:


Images used for inspiration:

Comments

  1. You did a really great job with this piece. I can tell you have a good eye for colors and shadows with the varying shades you included in your self portrait and clothing. The concept is really cool too, you have a message that comes across with minimal help from the other elements in the poster. I'd recommend changing the color of your eyes because it looks like the "whites" of your eyes are see through right now. This might be a personal preference but I also think you could change the background color of the phone to the same yellow in the "brain washing box" image so it looks more like a continuation of the image. Overall great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This piece is perfect for what you are trying to accomplish. You have a perfect message and execution. I love the topic you chose. It isn't one that you hear about too often. It is one that hasn't been in the news lately. It is one that needs more light shed on it. I love the colors that you had chosen. I love the shading and depth that you added to this piece with the different shades of your colors and I understand that it can be tedious. Very nicely done. Great work

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts