'Letter-To-Myself' Calligram

In the Calligram project completed for class, we were prompted to write a future letter addressed to ourselves in 20 years. I decided to use a butterfly as the outline or as my shape for the letter because they represent the beauty in life, and the transformations and changes an individual goes through. The process of transforming and growing may be long, ugly, and lonely, but it's also the most extraordinary process in nature. I used more organic colors, not only because my favorite color is green, but because I wanted them to coincide with nature and appear vibrant. The font I used was script-like to add curves and form to the butterfly shape. To create the shape with my letter/text, I inserted the butterfly photo (below), locked it in its layer, and used the pen tool to draw the outline. The gradient-color spots were added to give it some detail, and was done by adding circular shapes with a gradient fill.


This is the image I used as an outline for my work:


This is the letter to myself:

Hi izzi! I will be 41 when I am reading this, and hopefully, will be living some kind of extraordinary life. I hope you are the happiest you can be right now! I am 21, sitting at my make-shift desk that I built in my closet on Davis Island, and I am stressed out. Though my stress is probably irrelevant to 41-year-old-me, unfortunately I am actually late on submitting this assignment because I was consumed in other work and responsibilities (no excuse), but I have to cut myself some slack sometimes…If you find any typos within this letter, it’s because my ‘g’ key doesn’t work, and that is my biggest complaint about my life right now, and the fact that I don’t have a job to support myself, but I’ll find one. It is October 7th of 2020, I’m sure you can look back in your notes one day and find this letter (I love the notes app), but who knows what technology will take over 20 years from now. I hope you’re doing something bi for yourself like selling artwork and showing your home on Architectural Digest (best goal in life?). I hope you also have an amazing friend(s?) and an amazing family. I am not worried because I know that you are fine on your own too, ha. Have you run a marathon yet? Are you living in Texas or somewhere West? Do you have your own farm? Your own dogs and cats and fish? Take care of yourself first and be happy! Life is too short to be mad or upset. Be kind to other people and continue try things you have never done before. Say ‘Hi’ to mom for me :).


This is some extra work I had completed to practice the 'Envelope Distort' tool:

Comments

Popular Posts